Conánn sat with me for a good three hours (thank you and I apologise for taking so much time) to explain rigging to me. It was really interesting and I found it so beneficial, rigging is something I should be good at due to my understanding of the Human anatomy.
He rigged one half of the arm- using an IK FK rig, before showing me roughly how to paint weight the arm (that’s were the problems started).
Conánn explained the following principles to me:
- Bind Joint–> bind skin (ge0)
- FK Joint –> controls the bind joint with a constraint
- Anim Curve –> controls the FK Joint with a constraint
- FK Joint/ IK Joint –> controls bind joint with a constraint (FK IK Switch)
- Organising the outliner- geometry_GRP, joints_GRP and a Bind Rig
- Character organisation;
- -joints – FK Rig–> IK RIG ARMs–> Bind Rig
- -bind rig
Hopefully I’ll be able to successfully rig the character ASAP to start the animating- as our object animations are nearly complete.
Recommended tutorials. (YouTube, 2016).
Conánn suggested I look at this playlist of rigging tutorials on Maya Autodesk when rigging the rest of the body.
YouTube. (2016). Creating a Character Rig – Part 1: Common rigging pitfalls. [online] Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV4XRgmTynY [Accessed 1 May 2016].